Photo

Can you explain Data Stream vs Status Stream?

API Streams

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

In the Control Panel there are menus for Data Stream and Status Stream.  I have been posting and working with data in the data stream.  What is the intention of the Status Stream?  Should a device be able to post there?  How to do that?

#2 mcastillo

mcastillo

Carriots CEO

• Administrators
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

That's right! We built this Status stream in case developers want to separate sensor data from device information (like network coverage, batery status, etc...) Obviously you can send all that information on a single Data Stream. But if you use separate channels you can build more advanced functions on you app. For example: - You can process the information with different listenners in case of incomming data (or the abscence of a data stream ) for each type of information. You can also route the Data from the sensors to an external system but keep the device info for yourself or to another system. - It is also useful for device management to check if the device is working properly. Image a device that only sends data when an action happens (for example an RFID tag is read). If no action happens in 24h for example you might think it is frozen, but you can prevent that by having the device sending regular heartbeats through the Status Stream. Therefore you know your device is ok, but has no real data to send. That is why on the device properties you have different frequencies for each stream. For now the Status stream is not very documented, and we are fixing this. We need to write more examples and best practices using this feature combined with other features of Carriots. We hope to release that documentation soon. In the meantime we can use this forum to post some examples and discuss with the rest of the community possible use cases. We would be very happy to get you feedback on this.

#3 Zambiot

Zambiot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationAsia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thank you mcastillo for the response.  I am eager to try this, I could see that my device sends a general status every 6 hours.  Can you give a hint on how to direct a data stream create POST to a Status Stream instead of a Data Stream?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: API, Streams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users